The publication “Anthology. The Russian Secular Choir Music a Cappella. XIX — early XX” is the educational aid on the subject “History of the Russian Choir Music” intended for the students of the choir-conducting departments at the conservatoires, music colleges and art institutes.
The Anthology consists of twenty issues, every one of which is devoted correspondingly to the composers, having made profound contribution to the Russian choral music. The collection may be considered rather unique, because it includes all secular choral opuses a cappella, even those, which either had never been published, or hadn’t been edited since the pre-revolution time.
Every issue is opened by the preface narrating about this or that composer’s creative peculiarities. Combined in one whole and disposed according to the chronology, these essays may be accepted as one of the parts from the lectures of the “History of the Russian Choir Music”. Every issue contains the supplements, where the lyrics are adduced originally without any cuts.
Every issue is provided with audio CD, where the Petersburg Chamber Choir conducted by Nikolai Kornev performs the choruses published inside.
This is the first time that the edition of the Russian secular choir music is realized so voluminously.
The compiler expresses gratitude to N. E. Vasilyeva, candidate of arts, O. I. Gladkova, candidate of arts, N. D. Svetozarova, doctor of philology, and T. A. Kitanina, candidate of philology for the assistance during the preparation of this publication.
Vyacheslav Bulychyov (1872–1959)
FIVE CHOIRS A CAPPELLA. Oр. 5
1. There Is Pleasure… Lyrics by I. Kozlov
2. Ergo bibamus. Lyrics by J. W. Goethe, translated by the unknown author
3. A Little Bell. Lyrics by A. Fet
4. Spring Is Coming. Lyrics by I. Surikov
5. A Song. Lyrics by P. Korzhenevsky
FIVE CHOIRS A CAPPELLA. Op. 13
1. Ghosts. Lyrics by K. Balmont
2. There He Walked Resignedly. Lyrics by A. Pleshcheyev
3. The Light of Evening Went Down. Lyrics by K. Balmont
4. The Evening Softly Burns Down. Lullaby. Lyrics by A. Fet
5. Night. Lyrics by A. Pleshcheyev
FIVE CHOIRS A CAPPELLA FOR MIXED VOICES. Оp. 29
1. The Forest. Lyrics by I. Gusev
2. The Willow-Tree. Lyrics by A. Pleshcheyev
3. A Song. Lyrics by A. Pleshcheyev
4. There Are Many Sounds. Lyrics by A. K. Tolstoy
5. Softly the Spirit Flew up to Heaven… Lyrics by A. K. Tolstoy
MOTHERLAND. Four choirs for mixed voices. Оp. 30. Lyrics by A. K. Tolstoy
3. Protesting at the Gate
4. Truth. A symphonic cantata
FOUR CHOIRS A CAPPELLA
1. Spring. Lyrics by F. Tyutchev
2. The Earth Is Still Gloomy… Lyrics by F. Tyutchev
3. Spring. Lyrics by K. Aksakov
4. Russian Song. Lyrics by L. Mey
Supplement. Poetical Text Originals