The publication “Anthology. The Russian Secular Choir Music a Cappella. XIX — early XX” is the educational aid on the subject “History of the Russian Choir Music” intended for the students of the choir-conducting departments at the conservatoires, music colleges and art institutes.
The Anthology consists of twenty issues, every one of which is devoted correspondingly to the composers, having made profound contribution to the Russian choral music. The collection may be con-sidered rather unique, because it includes all secular choral opuses a cappella, even those, which either had never been published, or hadn’t been edited since the pre-revolution time.
Every issue is opened by the preface narrating about this or that composer’s creative peculiarities. Combined in one whole and disposed according to the chronology, these essays may be accepted as one of the parts from the lectures of the “History of the Russian Choir Music”. Every issue contains the supplements, where the lyrics are adduced originally without any cuts.
Every issue is provided with audio CD, where the Petersburg Chamber Choir conducted by Nikolai Kornev performs the choruses published inside.
This is the first time that the edition of the Russian secular choir music is realized so voluminously. The compiler expresses gratitude to N. E. Vasilyeva, candidate of arts, N. D. Svetozarova, doctor of philology, and T. A. Kitanina, candidate of philology for the assistance during the preparation of this publication.
Alexander Alexandrovich Alyabyev (1787–1851)
COLLECTION OF VARIOUS RUSSIAN SONGS
1. God, Save the Tsar. Verses by V. Zhukovsky (Music text example)
2. More Than All the Flowers. Verses by I. Dmitriyev
3. Prayer. Verses by N. Yazykov
4. Song About the Kind Tsar. Verses by N. Karamzin
5. Drinking Song. Verses by A. Delvig
6. Eyes. Verses by D. Oznobishyn
7. Nightingale. Verses by A. Delvig
8. Alas, What Is She Splendid For? Verses by A. Pushkin
9. Blue Eyes. Verses by A. Ivanov
10. Farewell to the Nightingale in the North. Verses by I. Vetter
11. Song of Old Luka. Verses by P. Yershov
12. Hunters’ Song. Verses by W. Kuechelbecker
13. As the Birdie Was Singing. Verses by A. Delvig
Dazzling Sun’s Rising. Verses by the unknown author
Supplement. Poetical Text Originals