The publication “Anthology. The Russian Secular Choir Music a Cappella. XIX — early XX” is the educational aid on the subject “History of the Russian Choir Music” intended for the students of the choir-conducting departments at the conservatoires, music colleges and art institutes.
The Anthology consists of twenty issues, every one of which is devoted correspondingly to the composers, having made profound contribution to the Russian choral music. The collection may be considered rather unique, because it includes all secular choral opuses a cappella, even those, which either had never been published, or hadn’t been edited since the pre-revolution time.
Every issue is opened by the preface narrating about this or that composer’s creative peculiarities. Combined in one whole and disposed according to the chronology, these essays may be accepted as one of the parts from the lectures of the “History of the Russian Choir Music”. Every issue contains the supplements, where the lyrics are adduced originally without any cuts.
Every issue is provided with audio CD, where the Petersburg Chamber Choir conducted by Nikolai Kornev performs the choruses published inside.
This is the first time that the edition of the Russian secular choir music is realized so voluminously.
Nikolai Cherepnin (1873–1945)
TWO CHOIRS FOR MIXED VOICES. Ор. 2
1. Feeling Lazy. Lyrics by A. K. Tolstoy (Music text example)
2. Clouds in the Sky. Lyrics by M. Lermontov
TWO CHOIRS FOR MIXED VOICES A CAPPELLA TO THE LYRICS BY F. TYUTCHEV. Ор. 10
2. Oleg’ Shield (Music text example)
FIVE CHOIRS FOR MEN’S VOICES. Ор. 14
1. Cherkess Song. Lyrics by A. Pushkin
2. If You Love, Love Foolhardily. Lyrics by A. K. Tolstoy
3. Don’t Cry Over Corpses. Lyrics by L. Palmin
4. Time Goes Slowly. Lyrics by I. Nikitin
5. Brave Fellow’s Honor. Lyrics by A. K. Tolstoy
THREE CHOIRS (OR SOLO-QUARTETS) FOR MEN’S VOICES. Ор. 15
1. Three Rills. Lyrics by A. Pushkin (Music text example)
2. Do Not Reason. Lyrics by F. Tyutchev
3. Punchsong. Lyrics by F. Schiller, translated by the unknown author
TWO CHOIRS FOR MIXED VOICES. Ор. 23
1. Day and Night. Lyrics by F. Tyutchev
2. Heat and Aridness. Lyrics by A. Golenishchev-Kutuzov
Supplement. Poetical Text Originals