to the “Anthology. The Russian Secular Choir Music a Cappella. XIX — early XX”
The publication “Anthology. The Russian Secular Choir Music a Cappella. XIX — early XX” is the educational aid on the subject “History of the Russian Choir Music” intended for the students of the choir-conducting departments at the conservatoires, music colleges and art institutes.
The Anthology consists of twenty issues, every one of which is devoted correspondingly to the composers, having made profound contribution to the Russian choral music. The collection may be con-sidered rather unique, because it includes all secular choral opuses a cappella, even those, which either had never been published, or hadn’t been edited since the pre-revolution time.
Every issue is opened by the preface narrating about this or that composer’s creative peculiarities. Combined in one whole and disposed according to the chronology, these essays may be accepted as one of the parts from the lectures of the “History of the Russian Choir Music”. Every issue contains the supplements, where the lyrics are adduced originally without any cuts.
Every issue is provided with audio CD, where the Petersburg Chamber Choir conducted by Nikolai Kornev performs the choruses published inside.
This is the first time that the edition of the Russian secular choir music is realized so voluminously. The compiler expresses gratitude to N. E. Vasilyeva, candidate of arts, N. D. Svetozarova, doctor of philology, and T. A. Kitanina, candidate of philology for the assistance during the preparation of this publication.
Anton Grigorievich Rubinstein (1829–1894)
SIX SONGS FOR FOUR MALE VOICES. German texts translated by V. A. Krylov
1. Song. Verses by H. Heine (Music text example)
2. Drinking Song. Verses by Mirza-Shafi. German text by F. Bodenstedt
3. Sea Silence. Verses by J. Goethe
Happy Sailing. Verses by J. Goethe
4. Merriment of Hunt. Verses by L. Tieck
5. Revenge. Verses by L. Uhland
6. Summer. Text from the Collection of German folk songs “Magic Horn of the Boy”
THREE SONGS FOR MEN’S CHOIR. German texts translated by the unknown author
1. Military Song. Verses by E. Geibel
2. Love Festival. Verses by N. Lenau
3. Vinum Hungaricum. Verses by R. Löwenstein
SIX SONGS FOR MIXED CHOIR. German texts translated by the unknown author
1. Inside the Gondola. Verses by A. Grün
2. Melody. Verses by E. Geibel
3. Pine-tree. Verses by H. Heine
4. At Night. Verses by E. Mörike
5. Awaken Rose. Verses by F. Sallet
6. Dwarfs. Verses by A. Kopisch
Old Song. Verses by A. Koltsov
Supplement. Poetical Text Originals