The publication “Anthology. The Russian Secular Choir Music a Cappella. XIX — early XX” is the educational aid on the subject “History of the Russian Choir Music” intended for the students of the choir-conducting departments at the conservatoires, music colleges and art institutes.
The Anthology consists of twenty issues, every one of which is devoted correspondingly to the composers, having made profound contribution to the Russian choral music. The collection may be con-sidered rather unique, because it includes all secular choral opuses a cappella, even those, which either had never been published, or hadn’t been edited since the pre-revolution time.
Every issue is opened by the preface narrating about this or that composer’s creative peculiarities. Combined in one whole and disposed according to the chronology, these essays may be accepted as one of the parts from the lectures of the “History of the Russian Choir Music”. Every issue contains the supplements, where the lyrics are adduced originally without any cuts.
Every issue is provided with audio CD, where the Petersburg Chamber Choir conducted by Nikolai Kornev performs the choruses published inside.
This is the first time that the edition of the Russian secular choir music is realized so voluminously. The compiler expresses gratitude to N. E. Vasilyeva, candidate of arts, N. D. Svetozarova, doctor of philology, and T. A. Kitanina, candidate of philology for the assistance during the preparation of this publication.
Edward Frantcevich Napravnik (1839–1916)
THREE CHOIRS FOR MEN'S VOICES
1. The Sound of Snowstorm. Lyrics by M. Lermontov (Music text example)
2. Two Giants. Lyrics by M. Lermontov
3. Bacchic Song. Lyrics by A. Pushkin
FIVE CHOIRS A CAPPELLA
1. Oh, cry. Lyrics by G. Byron. Translated by D. Min
2. A Little Bird. Lyrics by Ya. Polonsky
3. A Child. Lyrics by A. Pleshcheev (from Ch. F. Hebbel)
4. Serenade. Lyrics by V. Sollogub
5. A Matchmaker and a Groom. Lyrics by N. Nekrasov
FOUR CHOIRS A CAPPELLA
1. A Little Dove is Moaning. Lyrics by I. Dmitriev (Music text example)
2. Farouche is our Sea. Lyrics by N. Yazykov
3. Winter's Spite is in Vain. Lyrics by F. Tyutchev
4. Russia. Lyrics by I. Nikitin
FOUR CHOIRS A CAPPELLA
1. Angel. Lyrics by M. Lermontov
2. A Maid with a Spinning-Wheel. Lyrics by the unknown author
3. In the Garden near the Wade. Lyrics by T. Shevchenko. Translated by N. Herbel (Music text example)
4. Moscow. Lyrics by A. Fet (from T. Körner)
SIX SOLO QUARTETS
1. Troika. Lyrics by F. Glinka
2. Silence. Lyrics by A. Golenishchev-Kutuzov (from Goethe)
3. Venice at Nighttime. Lyrics by A. Fet
4. Don River. Lyrics by A. Pushkin
5. A Lonely Oak on North. Lyrics by H. Heine. Translated by A. Fet
6. A Kind Advice. Lyrics by A. Pushkin (from Parny)
Supplement. Poetical Text Originals