Two Books of Canzonas to the verses by the European poets of the 16th–17th centuries is one of the best, but, alas, the last opus by Yuri Alexandrovich Falik, the distinguished composer of the second half of the 20th century.
Its first volume refers to the 2007, having been published at the “Compozitor Publishing House • Saint-Petersburg” in 2008.
Its second volume was completed in 2008. Having been prepared to publication during the composer’s life, it wasn’t issued… That pitiful circumstance was caused by the impossibility of agreement with the Russian translator, having interpreted “Letrilla” by the Spanish poet Luis de Gongora (1561–1627).
Yuri Falik died suddenly of cardiac rapture on January 23, 2009.
The Compozitor Publishing House • Saint-Petersburg dares to publish the second volume of the Canzonas, meanwhile “Letrilla” is presented without any text.
1. DISCIPLINE. Verses by George Herbert (England). Translated by A. Sharapova (Music text example)
2. SPRING. Verses by Robert Robertin (Germany). Translated by L. Ginsburg
3. LETRILLA. Verses by Luis de Gongora (Spain)
4. EVENING. Verses by Hallgrimur Pietursson (Iceland). Translated by V. Tikhomirov (Music text example)
5. FEAST. Verses by Johann Georg Greflinger (Germany). Translated by L. Ginsburg. Verses by Ivan Bunich (Dalmatia). Translated by V. Korchagin