The series “Symphonic Classics” of pocket scores embraces the orchestral compositions of the 18th–20th centuries, having enjoyed their popularity in the sphere of world concert practice. The same very compositions, except just some of them, enter the music history and literature courses studied in conservatoires, music colleges and schools. The “Compozitor Publishing House • Sankt Petersburg” offers your attention the series “Symphonic Classics”. We hope this series is to be of great use to both professional musicians and students of all the grades in musical education, so as to the cultured music lovers.
Gustav Mahler (1860–1911) — the Austrian composer, conductor, opera producer. His creative activity took place in many places. From 1880 he conducted different opera theatres in Austro-Hungary, including the Viennese Court Opera during the period of 1897–1907, from 1907 — in the USA, from 1897 he held performances in Russia.
Mahler is considered to be one of the most eminent and genuine symphonists of the world music history. His creation became the link between the romanticism of the 19th century and the 20th century's expressionism (first of all the New-Viennese school). Such distinguished composers of the 20th century as D. Shostakovich, В. Britten, А. Schnitke were influenced by various aspects of his aesthetic method.
The “Das Lied von der Erde” (“Song of the Earth”) was created by Mahler during the summers of 1907 and 1908. It was in the Tyrolese place called Schluderbach. The composition itself belongs to the uncomplete trilogy dating Mahler's mature activity: “Song of the Earth» — the Ninth — the Tenth. — The idea of the future valediction with the mundane world pierces this composition. It was in 1907, when Mahler learned about his bad disease, having lived through his five-yeared daughter's death. Bruno Walter, the famous conductor, disciple of Gustav Mahler, described those years as follows: “The world was extended before him enlightened by the mild farewell shine”.
The “Song of Earth” was firstly performed after the composer's death on November 20, 1911. Bruno Walter conducted it in Munich.